A common misconception is that bleach will do the same job as a disinfectant at a fraction of the cost. The age old saying “You get what you pay for” seems to often hold true, and it does for bleach. The big difference is that bleach is ineffective on soiled surfaces, requiring you to double your labour to sanitize or disinfect. A good disinfectant breaks down soil and kills germs. Also, a good EPA registered disinfectant may also kill a broader spectrum of microorganisms.
The fumes from bleach are not only irritating, but can be extremely toxic to your health and the environment. You must be very careful not to mix with other chemicals, as toxic byproducts and gases can be very dangerous. According to a 15 year study presented at the Toronto Indoor Air Conference, women who work at home have a 54% higher death rate from cancer than those who work away from home. The study concluded that this was a direct result of the increased exposure to toxic chemicals, many of which are found in household products, such as bleach.
We believe that if you take into account the true costs of bleach on your wallet and health, the choice is clear. Because disinfectants are highly concentrated, when mixed with water one small bottle yields a great deal of disinfecting and cleaning power.
Disinfectants are important to eliminate microorganisms which are left to linger on surfaces such as door knobs, railings, and light switches. These provide reservoirs for susceptible individuals who touch these surfaces and then infect themselves through touching their nose or mouth. Studies show that the adults get anywhere from 1-3 colds per year, while children can get 6-8. 30-40% of absences from work and school are due to the common cold. This results in lost time and productivity.
The next time you are trying to save money by buying bleach, consider an environmentally friendly alternative. Not only will it protect the environment, but you will protect your health and well being as well.