Everyday germs such as mold, staph, and the common cold can sicken many individuals if left unchecked or untreated.  Down time for a business due to illness can be quite costly.  Just one sick day taken by a top level official can mean thousands of dollars lost to sick pay, decreased productivity, cancellations, fewer sales, etc.  This is why it is so critical for housekeeping staff to disinfect facilities properly.  

The Correct Product:

Because disinfectants are designed to kill harmful microbes, they are considered toxic.  Do you need to disinfect every single surface, or could some be cleaned sufficiently with an all-purpose cleaner?   Is there a comparable product that would be less toxic to employees and the environment instead of what you are currently using?  Is there a dilution system available to ensure proper ratios are used?  

The Correct Areas:

When most housekeepers think of disinfecting, food prep surfaces and restrooms are generally what come to mind.  While these areas are important, it is important not to exclude common contact surfaces, such as door knobs, light switches, railings, etc.  These surfaces are the most prone to spreading germs from person to person.  

The Correct Amount:

Often times employees will add extra concentrate to a solution assuming twice the amount will kill more germs, twice as fast.  The fact is that too high a concentrate may render the product ineffective.  It can injure the worker, damage the surface, or release fumes which are harmful to the lungs, skin, and eyes.  Using the correct dilution ratio is crucial, especially in health care facilities where some patients may already be suffering from respiratory illnesses.  

The Correct Process:

Disinfection is a two-step process.  First you need to clean the surface before applying disinfectant.  In an effort to save time, most housekeepers see a contamination such as dirt and assume the disinfectant will clean it up at the same time.  Training employees on the proper use of chemicals is extremely important.  

Most housekeepers do not realize that in order for a disinfectant to do its job effectively, it needs to dwell on the surface for 10 minutes.  It is important to apply the chemical liberally so that the surface will stay wet during the dwell time and not evaporate.